Our professional goals
- To increase the number of organic farmers and the area of organic fields
- To advance organic farming though Hungarian and international research
- To promote the authenticity of organic agriculture with independent scientific results
- To increase the competitiveness of organic farming
- To provide quality services for sustainable agriculture
- To provide education and authentic information based on facts
- To promote cooperation and dialogues between operators in the public and private sector involved in organic agriculture
The Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (ÖMKi) is the only research institute in Hungary that specializes in organic agriculture. It was established in 2011 with the aim of promoting the improvement and more widespread use of organic agriculture in Hungary.
Why is organic agriculture so important?
As a result of the global environmental, social and economic challenges, the research and development of sustainable food production has become a crucial area in the scientific landscape.
What are these challanges?
- The global population is expected to exceed 9 billion people by 2050.
- Extreme climate conditions caused by climate change are reducing agricultural productivity
- The global use of chemicals is a hazard both for our health and our environment
- Poor nutrition – even in developed countries – is one of the leading causes of death
For Hungary, organic agriculture is one of the greatest opportunities to refresh the national agricultural and food industry and to achieve sustainability.
In order to maintain the dynamic growth of organic agriculture, it is essential to lay the foundations through scientific research and strategic market development.